Mailing Lists: Apple Mailing Lists
Image of Mac OS face in stamp
Re: Is there an official statement about Java 7 and Snow Leopard?

Re: Is there an official statement about Java 7 and Snow Leopard?

On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:43 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:

Again there is no real difference though for Snow Leopard builds is there?

libfreetype is at a different level in Lion and Snow.
Building on Lion make a binary not compatible with Snow

Ah, I had a sort of related X11/libfreetype bug at one point.
http://java.net/jira/browse/MACOSX_PORT-524

One of the things I had a little trouble understanding, this appeared to break things for me although I was told X11 wasn't part of java.
I found that I could download/build a more current libfreetype and install here as a workaround.
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

I missed in the later discussions when libfreetype came up again, seemingly unrelated to my X11 issue, that this was a ongoing difference between Snow Leopard and Lion builds.
Some of this is hard for me to follow.
But it is fairly minor for a single difference between two OS versions.