Mailing Lists: Apple Mailing Lists
Image of Mac OS face in stamp
Re: Removing old versions of the JDK

On Apr 5, 2012, at 2:24 AM, Dannes Wessels wrote:

All these JVMs are registered in the Java preferences app, actually the old (vulnerable) versions were still active and had a higher priority than the newer versions. This surprised me a bit.

One thing you might want to do after an install is verify that you are running what you think you are, from Terminal....

 java -version
openjdk version "1.7.0-u4-b228"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-u4-b228-20120203)
Mac-User:~ mjh$ /usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6 --exec java -version
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-413-10M3623)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01-413, mixed mode)

I  use my own java shell app sometimes....
versions
System.in:3:java.runtime.version=1.7.0-u4-b10-20120211
System.in:4:java.version=1.7.0-u4-b10
System.in:7:java.class.version=51.0
System.in:10:java.vm.version=23.0-b14
System.in:20:java.vm.specification.version=1.7
System.in:26:java.specification.version=1.7

Where versions is actually an alias for....
set alias.versions
alias.versions=set java.* | grep version

Actually, I use this fairly often as a standard application test case, a simple one that still exercises alias and command parsing and thread piping.

I wondered about this after my install as well but for me it was because I showed no saved older versions. I switched machines recently so I guess I must not have done any updates since then. Although I thought I had. If you want to get rid of the old versions I think you can just delete or drag them to the trash. Hanging onto one for a little while as a fallback backup might be an idea though.